Stop back here often; this is a dynamic issue and information changes regularly!
What it is:
Since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade at the federal level and returned the decision authority for regulating/allowing abortions or disallowing abortions/protecting the unborn babies to the states, the abortion industry along with radical left political organizations have started an initiative to enshrine the “right to an abortion” in the Ohio constitution by crafting a proposed constitutional amendment to be voted on in the November 2023 election.
Issues/Why the amendment is wrong and needs to be defeated:
- Abortions will be made legal for entire 9 month term of pregnancy
- Amendment language is intentionally made vague or open to interpretation so any reason, however weak can be used to justify an abortion
- Amendment would abolish parental notification and consent requirements that protect minor girls from undergoing an abortion or even sex change therapy without her parents’ knowledge or involvement
- Abortion language is buried in or included with other non-lethal or non-controversial language or procedures in order to make the (real) desire for abortion “right” less prominent
- Funding for advocacy for the abortion initiative is largely from out of state organizations and donors; the real right for Ohioans to determine their own political/religious destiny is being undermined
- As in the days of Roe v. Wade, the abortion amendment language makes the entire issue focus on the “individual” i.e. pregnant mother’s “right” to have the abortion and completely ignores the baby’s real right to be protected and born and loved.
Process and schedule:
Objective 1: Pass a resolution in the Ohio General Assembly such that a 60% majority vote is needed to amend the OH state constitution.
On May 10 the Ohio General Assembly passed the Senate Joint Resolution 2 (SJR-2), the Constitution Protection Resolution which authorizes a special election on Tuesday, August 8, to raise the approval threshold needed to amend the Ohio state constitution to 60% of the vote.
Objective 1 update:
Unfortunately the August 8 vote did not go in our favor and the threshold to pass constitutional amendments remains as a simple majority (50% + 1 vote). This means we will need to work a bit harder to win hearts and minds so the “right to an abortion” amendment in November does not get passed!
Objective 2: To soundly defeat the Issue 1 in the November 7th general election!
Our friends with the Greater Columbus Right to Life organization have also put together this detailed analysis of the proposed amendment and identified numerous legal issues or implied rights/permissions included in the language. If you want to understand what is really intended or will be approved with this amendment, you want to read this!!
Objective 2 update:
The pro-abortion groups were able to collect sufficient signatures to have the proposed amendment language on the ballot for the November 2023 election. The Secretary of State has confirmed or validated that these signatures sufficient for the vote to proceed.
The challenge is laid out for us folks! The unborn babies are counting on our efforts and our victory on November 7th!!
What you can do:
- Pray!!! for a resounding defeat of the evil amendment proposal in the November election!
- Donate to an organization that is working to defeat the initiative. Any of the organizations linked on this page would be appreciative and would put your donation to work fighting this terrible amendment.
- Sign for a mailing list to get latest information about the issue and ways you can help. Again, any organization on this page will keep you informed of the latest developments and activities you can support.
- Talk to your family and friends about the initiative; let them know the issues and deceptive language that’s included in the proposal; point them to sources of information with the pro-life perspective. Lorain County Right to Life organization has also put together a page of useful resources to help you spread the word and educate people as to why the amendment is wrong. Link is here.
- Canvassing/Get out the Vote efforts – Susan B Anthony Pro-Life America is hiring paid Field Representatives to go door-to-door to help defeat the abortion amendment. See here for details.
- Canvassing/Get out the Vote efforts 2 – Created Equal is looking for volunteers to do door knocking and phone banking. See here for details.
- Host a speaker at your church or other organization to spread pro-life message further. For some help finding a speaker, click here. Or for a list of Town Hall meetings around the state to get latest information and ask questions, look here.
Some links to web sites with helpful pro-life information:
- Kate A. Makra opinion piece looking at organizations supporting the amendment: click here
- Carrie Campbell Severino’s and Frank Scaturro’s National Review article analyzing the proposed amendment: click here
- Flyer from the Protect Women Ohio organization breaking down the amendment text: link here.
- Guide to upcoming ballot initiative: click here